Making a Complaint

If you believe that your home insurance policy was mis-sold, or if you are unsatisfied with your insurance provider, you may wish to make a complaint. In this case you are advised to make the complaint to your insurance provider first. If they are FSA (Financial Services Authority) regulated they should have published a 'complaints procedure' on their website or have a leaflet available detailing the correct procedure. They should investigate your complaint thoroughly and make enquiries as appropriate.

If you make your complaint in person or by telephone, note down the name of the person with whom you spoke, as well as the date and time of your call or consultation. If you do not hear back within three weeks time, follow up your phone call or consultation with a letter detailing your complaint: keep copies of the complaint letters that you send for future reference.

If you are unhappy with the response you receive, you can use an independent complaint system. You can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) within six months of the final response that you receive from your insurance provider. The FOS is contactable via telephone on (+44) 0845 080 1800.

If you feel that there were unfair terms in your contract, you can refer your case to the Financial Services Authority (FSA) or to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT). The FSA do not have the authority to refund any money that you have lost due to unfair contract terms, but they will appeal to your insurance firm on your behalf.

Each of these organisations can be contacted in the event of a complaint regarding your home insurance policy, or loss of money due to the insurance company's handling of your policy:


It is worth remembering that there are statutory regulations in the UK which are designed to assist you when lodging a complaint. The standard complaints procedure outlined above should enable you to register your complaint in an efficient and effective way.