Policy Amendments

Circumstances may arise where you need to, or wish to, change certain details of your car insurance. You may, for example, wish to add an additional driver onto the policy, or you may have been convicted of a driving offence. Any amendment to your policy must be agreed on by your insurer and you should inform them as soon as you are aware an amendment must be made. You do not usually have to give advance notice, since most insurers allow amendments to be effective immediately. However, under no circumstance can an amendment be back-dated, so you must ensure that the amendment is effected on-time. For example, you cannot allow another person to drive your car and tell your insurer afterwards that you wish to add them as a named driver.

If your insurer is not made aware of a change in your circumstances, your cover may be invalidated, or any claims rejected. Amendments include:


  • Replacement of your vehicle with another
  • Modifications to your vehicle
  • Your address
  • Named drivers
  • Driving convictions relating to any of the named drivers (excluding fixed-penalty parking offences)
  • Accidents, claims or losses relating to any named driver
  • Level of cover required
  • Usage of the vehicle
  • Physical or mental condition of any named driver changes
  • Adding or cancelling Breakdown Cover or Motor Legal Protection
  • Any other information that was specified in your original application

It should be noted that 'amendment' is defined here as any changes to your policy that occur before its expiration date: referred to as a 'mid-term amendment'. Amendments to your policy may be subject to an administration charge. This charge varies widely between insurers: some do not charge at all, whilst others charge you even for registering a change of address.

Once you have informed your insurer of any changes, they will confirm the change, assess the new details and decide whether a new premium if needed. You should also receive a confirmation by post if a change to the certificate of motor insurance is necessary. Some amendments may not be effective immediately and you will be informed of this at the time. Your insurer will give you an approximate date and you should wait until this date before contacting them again about the amendment's progress.

You may be required to pay additional premiums or be entitled to a premium refund as a result of an amendment. If the amendment is only temporary, you may be have to pay Short Term Premium Rates (STPRs). STPRs are commonplace throughout the car insurance industry and help protect insurers against the additional administrative costs of providing short term cover. They are more expensive per day than normal premium rates, but save you having to pay for a full year's worth of cover at an inflated price, when an amendment is only temporary.

If you are entitled to a refund and you receive a new certificate of motor insurance, you must return the old certificate or sign a declaration to say that it was lost, stolen or destroyed before you will receive the refund.

It is always better to request amendments by telephone as this ensures a quick, efficient, and in most cases immediate, service.