Complaints Procedure

If you believe your policy was mis-sold, or any other differences in opinion arise between you and your car insurance provider, you may wish to make a complaint:

Make the complaint to your insurer first: they will publish a complaints procedure on their website and in your policy documentation. Their aim should be to investigate your complaint thoroughly. On completion of the investigation they should write to you with the outcome and, where applicable, the nature and terms of any compensation to which you are entitled. If their investigation, for any reason, is not resolved within four weeks, they will contact you with reasons for the delay, and an expected date for the decision.

If you are unhappy with their reply, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) or contact an independent financial advisor. If using the FOS, the complaint must be made within six months of the final response from your provider.

If you feel that there were unfair contract terms, you can refer your case to the Financial Services Authority (FSA) or the Office of Fair Trading (OFT). The FSA do not have the authority to refund any money lost due to unfair contract terms, but they can appeal to your insurer on your behalf.

The following is a list of organisations that can be contacted regarding complaints and loss of money due to your insurer's handling of your policy:


  • The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB):
  • The Financial Services Authority (FSA):
  • The Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS):
  • Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS):
  • The Personal Insurance Arbitration Service (PIAS)