Making a Complaint

If you believe that your credit card was mis-sold, or there are hidden terms and conditions that you were not made aware of when you applied, you may wish to make a complaint. In this case you are advised to:


  • Make the complaint to your credit card provider first. If they are Financial Services Authority (FSA) regulated they should have published a formal 'complaints procedure'. This can usually be viewed on their website, or detailed in a leaflet, provided in-branch. Their aim should be to deal with your complaint thoroughly and make any necessary enquiries. If you make your complaint in person or by telephone, note down the name of the person with whom you spoke, as well as the date and time of your call or consultation. If you do not hear back within three weeks' time, follow up your phone call or consultation with a letter, detailing your complaint. You should keep copies of the complaint letters that you send for future reference.

  • If you are unhappy with your card provider's reply, you may wish to use an independent complaint system. You can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) up to six months after the final response that you receive from your card provider. The FOS is contactable at:

    South Quay Plaza
    183 Marshall Wall
    London E14 9SR
    Tel: (+44) 0845 080 1800
  • If you feel that there were unfair contract terms, you can refer your case to the FSA or the Office of Fair Trading (OFT). The FSA do not have the authority to refund any money that you have lost due to unfair contract terms, but they will appeal to you credit card company on your behalf.


Each of these organisations can be contacted in the event of a complaints regarding your credit card:


  • The Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
  • The Financial Services Authority (FSA)
  • The Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)
    The FSCS will only help if your credit card provider has gone out of business or if they are in the process of liquidation.
  • Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)
    The maximum refund of any loss is £100,000.


It is worth remembering that there are statutory regulations in the UK which are designed to assist you when lodging a complaint. The standard complaints procedure outlined above should enable you to register your complaint in an efficient and effective way.